As a part of Broadview’s community initiatives, we are happy and proud to have staff that participates and donates blood every quarter!
On March 29th, a group of employees donated blood. Take a peek at some of the shots:
Important notes from the Canadian Blood Services:
- On average, every 60 seconds someone in Canada needs blood.
- Blood products have a limited shelf life, which means that demand is constant.
- In 2017, only one in 60 eligible people actually donated.
Each blood donation:
- Can help save up to three lives
- Only takes about an hour of time
- Will be used by a patient within about a week
Who needs blood?
- Every minute of every day, someone in Canada needs blood and often from more than one generous donor. Some examples include:
- Up to 8 donors a week to help someone with leukemia
- Up to 5 donors to help someone undergoing cancer treatment
- Up to 50 donors to help someone in a car crash
- Up to 2 donors to help someone who needs brain surgery
- Up to 5 donors to save someone who needs heart surgery
- Up to 2 to 8 donors to help someone with internal bleeding
- Up to 2 donors a day to help someone undergoing a bone marrow transplant
- Up to 4 donors a month to help someone with Aplastic Anemia
- Up to 2 donors for a hip replacement
Who Can Donate?
- A minimum of 17 years
- In good health
- Meet all other eligibility requirements.
Find out more about what other initiatives we support!